Ed Sheeran and Adele both won two awards.
Wow, what a night! The BRITs was a super glitzy affair, with the likes of Rihanna, Coldplay and Adele all performing and picking up awards.
Ed Sheeran and Adele were the biggest winners, bagging two gongs each but the big surprise was probably One Direction beating Adele, Jessie J and Ed Sheeran to take away the award for Best British Single with ‘What Makes You Beautiful’.
Making a triumphant return to the BRITs, Adele, who won Best British Female and Best British album, said “I’m so proud to be British and to be flying our flag”. She also delivered a strong performance of Rolling in the Deep to the star-studded audience.
The young girls were out in force supporting the lovely Ed Sheeran who took away the Best British Male and Best Breakthrough act prizes. He told us how pleased he was to be at the ceremony and that following on from his free EP release with Yelawolf, he’ll be giving fans even more free music this year.
Homegrown producer and singer Labrinth joined us on the red carpet and confirmed that he will be working with US R&B star Usher this year. He also bumped into Will.I.Am and exchanged numbers while we were there so look out for another possible collaboration in the future.
Whilst she wasn’t nominated for any awards, current number one artist Rita Ora had a girly reunion with old mate Alexandra Burke and told us how pleased she was to be riding high in the charts and excited just to be at the event.
Watch the red carpet interviews here
Check out the red carpet photos here
Listen to our BRIT mixes and Spotify playlists
Full list of winners:
- British Male Solo Artist – Ed Sheeran
- British Female Solo Artist – Adele
- British Breakthrough Act – Ed Sheeran
- British Group – Coldplay
- British Single – One Direction – What Makes You Beautiful
- British Album of the Year – Adele – 21
- International Male Solo Artist – Bruno Mars
- International Female Solo Artist – Rihanna
- International Group – Foo Fighters
- International Breakthrough Act – Lana Del Rey
- Outstanding Contribution to Music – Blur
- Critics Choice – Emeli Sandé
- British Producer – Ethan Johns