Tulisa’s drug trial collapses

Story Highlight

The singer has branded the whole case a “horrific and disgusting entrapment”.

Tulisa‘s drug trial has collapsed and the singer has branded the whole case a “horrific and disgusting entrapment”.

The dramatic turn of events happened when Judge Alistair McCreath told the Crown Court he thought, prosecution witness Mazher Mahmood, had lied.

Telling the jury that the case ‘must go no further’, Judge McCreath said there were “strong grounds to believe” that Mr Mahmood had “lied” at a hearing before the trial started.

Tulisa was first arrested in June 2013, after one of The Sun newspaper’s undercover reporters, Mr Mahmood, claimed that she arranged a cocaine deal. Claims, which Tulisa has always denied.

Today, reading a statement outside Southwark Crown Court, she once again strenuously denied those claims, saying: “Let me be perfectly clear. I have never dealt drugs and never been involved in taking or dealing cocaine.”

Tulisa also went on to say that she had been tricked by the journalist and that she had believed she was auditioning for a film role. They “produced this as evidence when I thought it was an audition.” she explained.

The Sun newspaper has now said that Mr Mahmood has been “suspended pending an internal investigation”.

Read Tulisa’s full statement below

“Let me be perfectly clear. I have never dealt drugs and never been involved in taking or dealing cocaine.

“This whole case was a horrific and disgusting entrapment by Mazher Mahmood and the Sun on Sunday newspaper.

“Mahmood has now been exposed by my lawyers openly lying to the judge and jury. These lies were told to stop crucial evidence going before the jury. This evidence shows that I told Mahmood’s long-standing driver that I disapproved of drugs, which is the truth.”

“It is clear that the driver was pressured to change his statement to strengthen Mahmood’s evidence and to damage mine.

“Thankfully the lies have been uncovered and justice has been done.

“This case only happened because Mahmood and his team tricked me into believing I was auditioning for a major movie role.

“They targeted me at a time when things were going badly for me and they had no mercy.

“Mahmood got me and my team completely intoxicated and persuaded me to act the part of a bad, rough, ghetto girl.

“They recorded this and produced this as evidence when I thought it was an audition. It was a terrible thing to do.

“As my lawyer said at the outset, we have now succeeded in exposing the real culprits and, most importantly, the real liar.

“As someone who has had my life ruined for the last year I strongly believe that this type of entrapment should not be allowed to happen to anyone.

“I urge both the police and News UK to investigate Mazher Mahmood and his team and to put an end to his deceit in pursuit of sensational stories for commercial gain.

“I have not been able to work for a year, and I am now looking forward to resuming my career.

“I will use these experiences to make me stronger. I would like to thank all the people who have supported me through this terrible ordeal, including my fans and, of course, my legal team.”

“Mahmood has now been exposed by my lawyers openly lying to the judge and jury. These lies were told to stop crucial evidence going before the jury, “

Tags: